Computer games are games that are played on personal computers without the use of a console or arcades. The game is either bought online from the web or installed through a CD or disk drive. Computer games are extremely popular though for a short period of time they had lost prominence due to popularity of gaming consoles. They gained back their popularity. The first ever complete digital PC game was “Space war” that was launched in February of the year 1962 by Steve Russel.
Evolution of PC Games throughout the years:
- “Space War” is the first ever complete digitised computer game but there were few even before this game.
- In the year 1952 a graphic based game of Tic Tac Toe was launched by Alexander Sandy Douglas.
- In the year 1971 the first ever arcade game called as Computer Space was launched by Nolan Bushnell and Ted Dabney.
- The first ever copyrighted computer games were Asteroids and Lunar Calendar launched by the company called as Atari.
- The extremely popular and still widely played arcade game of Pacman was launched in the 1980. It was launched as both Personal computer games and on gaming platforms by a game developing company known as Namco.
- The first game to produce successive nine sequels due to its popularity in computer games was Age OF Darkness launched by origin systems. It was released in the year of 1981.
- Microsoft launched its first game stimulated by flight in 1982 for PC. This game is one of the longest played games in computer gaming history as Iwantcheats.net .
- Another highly popular game known as Tetris was launched in the year of 1984 in Russia.
- In the year 1989, virtual reality game of Sim city was launched for PC. It has remained one of the most popular games and has also won many awards.
- Another award winning game of Wing commander is launched for disk operating system personal computers.
- Real-time games made an entry in the year 1995 through games such as Commander and Conquer.
- 3D versions of personal computer games were launched in the year of 1996.
- The first person shooter (FPS) game was Half-life released by Valve corporation.
- The call of duty game that has contribution towards making Personal computer games popular again was launched in the year of 2003.
- Diablo 3 is one of the highest selling and popular games of present times was launched in the year of 2012.
What are the different types of computer games?
There are basically twelve different types of Personal computer games based on their intent or purpose and technology. But the main six types that computer games can be categorised into:
- Informative games:
Gaming in any form has a bad reputation, children and also adult gamers are always advised to stay away from gaming or avoid spending too much time on it. They are suggested to utilize the same time by doing something fruitful or knowledgeable. One way that gamers can use and prove all the naysayers wrong is by introducing them to informative or educational games. There is a huge spectrum of games available from this genre, related to every possible field. They are not at all boring and are a fun way to learn new things or understand difficult concepts. Some of the more popular educational computer games are deal with aptitude and improving cognitive abilities.
RPG stands for role play games. These are the games that are most popular with people who are fans of scientific fiction. These are interactive and make the player a part of the whole game and not only allows the player to play but also live the whole virtual world created by Role play games. Mass effect, Planescape, Baldur’s gate, Fallout, and Witcher are some of the widely played RPG games on computers.
- Recreational games:
These are equally popular across all age groups and demographic divisions. These are the games that are made by taking inspiration from real life sports. The graphics and game settings are similar to the original game. The rules also for majority remain the same. Games such as football, basketball, indoor games such as billiards, table tennis, bowling etc. are all being emulated as video games. The FIFA series, The NBA series, The WWE series are just of the few examples of this vast and extensively played genre of computer games.